[Gllug] Network freeze.

Andre Newman andre at walkabout.compulink.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 21:03:29 UTC 2001

On Monday 06 August 2001 10:21, you wrote:
> At 23:12 +0100 2001-08-03, Jon Masters wrote:
> >Which kernel series are you running? I *think* this guy had 2.4.x
>
> The latest official release (currently via RH that is 2.4.3-12)

I saw a mention of pppd problems on the kernel mailing list but that was
fixed in 2.4.1 apparently.

My version of the problem seems to have been fixed by changing the ISDN TA, I
tried a firmware upgrade with the USR Imodem which improved things slightly
but switching to a Tron 128 seems to have fixed it completely!

I gather that this type of TA does the ppp (& multilink ppp) itself and
spoofs a ppp session back over the serial port which contains the data from
the session over the line, phew, complicated or what! So if there is a ppp
problem between you and the ISP it's the TA's fault and nothing you do on the
linux side will fix it. If the problem is between linux and the TA then
that's a different story.

This doesn't directly help your situation other than to indicate that the
problem (if it's the same one) may be in pppd.

The question over mtu's arises in that apparently windows always sets the mtu
to 576 (old fashioned ethernet mtu) on links slower than 128k so I expect
most ISP's rarely test their configs with much else.

> Should I chase a later pppd?

Got to be worth a try

Andre

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk