Anti-Virus was Re: [Gllug] How do they manage it?

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Aug 10 15:47:44 UTC 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 02:56:45PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
>  On Friday, August 10, 2001, at 02:36 PM, Sean Burlington wrote:
>

> > Anti virus software is expensive - and if you take precautions -
> > unnecassary
> >

> Got Sophos installed at work for under £20 a year per machine plus as
> part of the deal we get to put it on our home PCs, network in my case
> at home.  Are you 100% alert 100% of the time?
>
> Regards Jim

20 per year isn't too much - but I'm guessing that you are talking about
a bulk order... part of the expense is maintenance and CPU cycles.

Anti-virus software is also not 100% alert, and I don't run any of the more
 vulnerable bits of software - so really all being alert means is not opening
attatchments...

I'd say that being careful, running Linux, Mutt and using Star Office to read
the occasional Word doc is a lot safer than running Windows, Outlook, Word
and the latest Anti-virus software.

That said - we do have a scanner on our mailserver at work and I might play
around with that at home too as it is really cutting down on spam :-)

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk