Anti-Virus was Re: [Gllug] How do they manage it?

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Fri Aug 10 17:03:40 UTC 2001

On Friday, August 10, 2001, at 03:47 PM, Sean Burlington wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 02:56:45PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
>>  On Friday, August 10, 2001, at 02:36 PM, Sean Burlington wrote:
>>

>>> Anti virus software is expensive - and if you take precautions -
>>> unnecassary
>>>

>> Got Sophos installed at work for under £20 a year per machine plus as
>> part of the deal we get to put it on our home PCs, network in my case
>> at home.  Are you 100% alert 100% of the time?
>>
>> Regards Jim
>>

> 20 per year isn't too much - but I'm guessing that you are talking about
> a bulk order... part of the expense is maintenance and CPU cycles.

You are right about the bulk order 50 machines including 5 servers don't
find it too heavy on maintenance central install once a month or during
an outbreak and when a user logs on it updates automatically.

> Anti-virus software is also not 100% alert, and I don't run any of the
> more
>  vulnerable bits of software - so really all being alert means is not
> opening
> attatchments...

I agree again keep up to date with virus alerts and have the latest
patch ready for the users when they log on in the morning.  There is a
reason sys admins have a reputation for grumpyness it having to be in
work an hour earlier than everyone else to do this sort of windows

> I'd say that being careful, running Linux, Mutt and using Star Office
> to read
> the occasional Word doc is a lot safer than running Windows, Outlook,
> Word
> and the latest Anti-virus software.

I agree again but with reservations, this is the standard setup for the
tech team here even if it is mutt running in a term under Darwin however
I have 30 designers, developers and managers here, who will not and
indeed cannot because of applications change from OS 9 or Windows
98/2000.

> That said - we do have a scanner on our mailserver at work and I might
> play
> around with that at home too as it is really cutting down on spam :-)

By the way I don't necessarily recommend Sophos it just seems to work
for us but i know it is not open source or GPLed