[Gllug] V92 Modems & FRIACO/ Surftime

bredroll bredroll at atari.org
Tue Aug 7 00:48:59 UTC 2001

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Andre Newman wrote:

> On Sunday 05 August 2001 22:26, you wrote:
> > i hate that word....  FRIACO!
>
> I know what you mean, they could have chosen something that doesn't need the
> assistance of 5 pints of cheap lager to pronounce!

hehe, also pronounced, 'fiasco'

> > anyhoo, friaco does not support kflex. thats what they said to me when i
> > said i could not connect with my standard (non kflex) 56k modem that i had
> > been using for 6 months with them,
>
> I saw a posting about another ISP that suggested it did but I'm going to try
> and borrow one before I buy, all I'm after is the quick connect so I can get
> dial on denamd working nicely.

it sometimes does, thats the tricky thing, the friaco modems are actually
just a mishmash of modems, i spoke to a few at the collosus atm sections
and some areas have 100% kflex modems, most however have 10% kflex some
have none at all, so the officaial nation 'line' is no kflex.

> > my advice is to seek a friaco isp other thatn force9 / pulsnet. they are
> > being ruthless with many aspects of business,
> >
> > i have a legal argument with them at the moment, several times i have been
> > fobbed off from thier phone lines with 'oh no not you again, sorry but im
> > not wasting my time again (click beeeep)'
>
> Nasty.
>
> I was severely p**s*d with them over their surftime screwups but everyone
> else I spoke to seemed to have similar or worse problems with other ISPs. I
> figured that you get what you pay for and stayed. I've actually been fairly
> happy since the switch to friaco (spit) as have a couple of guys at work who
> are with them.

i stayed as i liked very much my static ip and my remote shell, it quickly
pisses you off when thier dialup service breaks and you cant get into your
shell from anywhere other than home, i ask then what is the point of a
shell if you can only use it from one place?

> > run while you still can!
>
> It looks like the only place I can run to is Demon, I refuse to pay for a
> dial up account that isn't fixed IP, dynamic IP is a complete pain for video
> conferencing and remote logins. A couple of Demon customers I know bitch
> constantly about their throughput but at least Demon are sufficiently "old
> school" to get things like reverse dns entries right and their smtp delivery
> is execellent (never managed to get plusnet's to work for me).

demon are not fast but i will say they are reliable.

> At least plusnet's cancellation terms are less onerous than they used to be.
> Ah well, I'm moving house soon so hopefully I can get a DSL line & dump all
> this temporary dialup crap. I gather that most ADSL lines a bit temporary at
> times, with BT providing the infrastructure I guess that's not too
> surprising, allegedly ;-)

bt isdn is under rated, its very quick and prices are quite good now,
maybe its worth looking at that?

> Andre

bredroll

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk