[Gllug] How do they manage it? (IT recruitment agencies)

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Fri Aug 10 15:49:36 UTC 2001

In message <018301c121ae$e9f4df90$390a0a0a at veriouk>
          "will" <will at hellacool.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

Yeah, or the "Now Dave, this is probably a virus. Let's see: I'll
just click on it ... <whirr> Yes, I think that was a virus. Whoops."
problem.

But really, if you have any sort of organisation where you are, then
either you operate as a formal company with contracts of employment
with your staff, or you operate as a cohesive organisation of peers
working in a given problem domain.

In the latter case, if someone screws the system by, for example,
opening a well-known virus, or installing Doze, or something, then
you mentally downgrade your competence counter for them, and get
them to fix the problem. This usually educates them much better than
just using a clue stick.

In the former case, you get the employment contract to contain
specific details of "The IT people will issue virus warnings from
time to time. You are expected to keep up to date with these.
Running a virus that is on the virus warning list (and hence
avoidable) is a breach of your employment contract, and XXX
penalties result".

If you can't make a case for one or  the other of these approaches
with your management, then you probably need new management :> (And
yes, I have seen the employees of a company replace the management.
It's just not very common.)

cheers,Rich.

--
Rich Walker: rw at shadow.org.uk (Shadow Robot Project)