[Gllug] Spanish company Panda releases free antivirus for Linux

Graeme Walker uk at walk.co.za
Mon Aug 27 07:20:41 UTC 2001

There is an English site, http://www.pandasoftware.com/com/linux/linux.asp
What really gets to me, is how to update the virus def. database. You need a
username and password.
If you go to the main site (www.pandasoftware.com) and click on the update
link, it prompts you for username/password, and then says it is only for
registered/payed users. Freeware users don't get updates. So it makes it
pretty useless if you can't update. The standard package comes with files
from Nov 2000 which is pretty old, esp. things like Magister and Sircam
wouldn't be detected!

As for the email scanning, I use Inflex (www.pldaniels.com/inflex) which is
GPL, he has a payed version which has more features, etc. I suppose a little
modifiying the code could get Inflex to work with Panda AV, the biggest
process would working out the return codes from the app.

Graeme