[Gllug] Which laptop?

Leigh Mason leigh.mason at virgin.net
Fri Aug 31 14:28:44 UTC 2001

a big shout for the vaio!

i'm using a z600ne (similar to the tek) with dual boot - redhat 7.0 with
2.2.16 k and w98.

linux install went smoothly after falling at the first hurdle by not
recognising the external pcicia cdrom. a quick call to redhat support sorted
it out by entering the following at the boot prompt:

linux ide2=0x180,0x386 lba32

from then on it went well, especially as i'm a complete linux novice.
i must admit, i am having trouble trying to get the sound to work.
and i have a list of things to try and conquer after that. but after reading
the vaio section at http://www.linux-laptop.net other users seem to have
most things nailed.

the only thing that might be a problem with the vaio range (apart from the
poor battery life (although i use mine as a desktop)) is internet access -
there aren't  any suitable drivers for the internal winmodem? unless anyone
knows any differently?

but the machine itself is a synthesis of aesthetics and technology!
i found that one of the cheapest places to buy them was in dixons (about 200
gbp cheaper than pcworld!).

leigh

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk