[Gllug] Whinge

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Aug 30 12:12:51 UTC 2001

On 30 Aug 2001 12:27:00 +0100, will wrote:

> This argument always happens.  Yes you can do that, but only if you know how
> to, which is where windows is quite handy.  I am sick of the constant
> windows is shit thing.  Windows has it's advantages and so does Linux.

Name one use Microsoft Windows has for you that GNU/Linux does not.

> it *is* easier to do things like install programs on windows

Wait until you're the next person to be bitten by Install Shield bug
number 0x80040707 and then tell me that again. Oh and around the same
time, Microsoft's Installer will fail too, the recovery program would
work but it requires MSI to install in the first place (chicken and egg
issue, thanks MS).

> and it *is* easier to addnew hardware on windows

``Sorry Sir, the only way to overcome that particular problem is to
re-install windows'' (paraphrasing what I have been told by various tech
supports).

> the command line is preferred by some here, but is not in general
'user
> freindly'.

The sole reason being that people are brainwashed with what "is" "user
friendly" by the evil likes of Microsoft Corporation.

> It seems that a lot of people have problems looking at this sort of
> thing from the point of view of someone else, less experienced than them.

I look at it from the point of view of brainwashed zombies sometimes.

So now, give me a *valid* reason to back your point.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk