[Gllug] windows and linux co-existing

bredroll at nereus.host4u.net bredroll at nereus.host4u.net
Fri Aug 17 16:11:32 UTC 2001

ok, heres the dealy,

small office , 5 workstations, they deal alot with web and email, original
setup used winnt server and isdn dialup, wint server uses some strange
thing to let the stations use www resources freely, http requires you o
use proxy but other services, even ssh seem to be transparent,
workstations are winme and win98. only using tcpip,

now i have a linux server installed. runs ipmasq, and dns aswell as does
routine data backups each weekend, isdn on linux box is fine, ipmasq is up
(iptables nat)

winnt dhcp server has been removed, the linux box now sends upt dhcp stuff
including dns and gateway details.

gateway is 192.168.1.15 (linux box)
dns is same, (dns forwarding this bit works fine)

so as to not interrupt service in the office the nt server still has its
isdn and some stations use it ok,

1 reconfigured station now set up to talk via linux box has started to
annoy me.

i have made sure it has no wierd networking stuff installed. routing table
s normal, its default route is my linux server, good good. but

if i go in and unplug the nt server from the network my new station can do
dns (as is set up on linux pc) but refuses to behave like its using the
ipmasq!

sorry for the pigeon emglish but on telnet on a 28000 baud modem

bredroll

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk