[Gllug] speech synthesis

ChrisJS at aol.com ChrisJS at aol.com
Mon Aug 20 21:32:00 UTC 2001

I found that IBM's free ViaVoice Text-To-Speech system was much easier to
find and set up than the alternatives. It comes with example programs which
use the runtimes they provide, such as a commandline speaker and a text file
speaker. Worth a look, should be easy to find on their website.
The only problem I had was with my soundcard not bein able to do hardware
mixing, so if I was playing music, the ViaVoice output was squelched. If
anybody knows of a way around this (I'm using eSound and xmms) I'd appreciate
it...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk