[Gllug] speech synthesis

Rob Andrews rob at impure.org.uk
Mon Aug 20 21:53:19 UTC 2001

[Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 05:32:00PM -0400] ChrisJS at aol.com whispered thus:
 > The only problem I had was with my soundcard not bein able to do hardware
 > mixing, so if I was playing music, the ViaVoice output was squelched. If
 > anybody knows of a way around this (I'm using eSound and xmms) I'd appreciate
 > it...

AFAIK there are no software duplex emulators, but you can have esd release
the sound device when it's not using it.

See:

export ESD_SPAWN_OPTIONS="-as 1"

Which will release the audio device after 1 second of esd not pushing out
any sound. You may be able to put this into esd.conf/esound.conf, but not
being an esd user, I can't tell.

Some soundcards with duplex provide more than one /dev/dsp - i.e. the SBLive
provides /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1. If your card does provide duplex, alsa with
the snd-pcm-oss module will provide duplex on one /dev/dsp node.

--
<pgp> 0x8bb5c71e  "This Basil. This Basil's hand. This smack on the head."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk