[Gllug] Code Red worm sleeps?

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Wed Aug 1 16:18:07 UTC 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, jim wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, The Flying Hamster wrote:
> > http://markl.tech.ftech.net/codered.php3
>
> Thanks for that. Nice curve.

I've had 5 attacks so far today...

> > but it's not at a level which I'm interested in yet.
>
> It's certainly not the doomsday scenario that was predicted. I've still
> only had the one. From an epidemiological point of view, what sort of
> proportion of the population would need to be vulnerable for it to take
> off properly, I wonder?

I just had a thought - talking to a collegue here.  What would it take to
write something which fit the following:

Any machine from which an attack originates is unpatched and vunerable.
How about a counter-virus which would utilise the known vunerability on the
attacking machine to both wipe out the worm from that machine, and install
the patch (or something smaller and simpler, maybe) such that the machine is
then no longer vunerable?

Purely a thought experiment, but still...

> jim

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk