[Gllug] ipchains/smtp acceptance from Demon

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 12:26:21 UTC 2001

---------------------------------------
Message from:-
Tim Clarke  (tim at seacon.co.uk)
Seacon Holdings plc Group, London, U.K.
Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000
      Fax: +44 (0)1474 329946
---------------------------------------

Sean wrote:

>I want to allow Demon to initiate smtp connection  .. so
>ipchains -A input -i $extint -s 194.217.242.0/8 smtp -p TCP -l -j ACCEPT

I believe I am somewhat late entering the debate, but nevertheless my
tuppence worth ( for what its worth)!! :-

ipchains -A input -i $extint -s 194.217.242/24 -dport smtp -j ACCEPT

would seem to to the trick

The default policy on the firewall input chain should relly be DENY, with only
the things you want explicity allowed
Not a bad idea to disallow anything on the internal interface that purports to
come from your 'internal ip address range, also

I left out -p TCP  on the basis that SMTP should not be listening on a udp
port anyway !

I left out -l, 'cos with it in I believe you may get loads and loads of messages
for every smtp ip packet that arrives ??

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk