[Gllug] OT: Just probing the job market in London

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Aug 15 12:16:46 UTC 2001

>programmers (especially team leaders) earn more than sysadmins.

Odd. I've found exactly the opposite (which is one of the reasons I'm
no longer a developer :-) At least that's the case for Unix work.
For NT, maybe programmers do earn more, but I'm not really familiar
enough with the NT job market to say for sure. The exception to this
seems to be Java coders in the City. The banks seem desperate for
them, and are quite happy to pay 60-70K.

>the old stalwarts of C/C++, Perl and so on are the best contracting
>skills at the moment.

I found the market for C/C++ to be pretty slow when I was last looking
(Jan/Feb), which is another reason why I'm doing sysadmin now. Yes, the
positions are there, but they were paying insultingly low rates. There
was virtually nothing paying sensible money.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk