[Gllug] Problem starting up

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Aug 8 23:46:32 UTC 2001

On 08 Aug 2001 22:56:07 +0100, Simon Bunker wrote:

> I wouldn't mind but the machine isn't even on a network! (if you don't count
> the net) I just needed the different name to match up with my flexLM license
> file (if you ever have to deal with flexLM licensing you'll realise how
> nasty it is!) - guess it's a pain for pirates too though.

I doubt it's any pain for "pirates" (ahoy matey!) at all. They simply
overide the hostname calls as I suggested or similar, I would imagine.
Generally, I agree with those who criticise use of the term "pirate" -
people who use software in the various ways that come under that
umbrella really aren't akin to rapists and murderers of the high seas...

> As I do't think they can be set up with a common mailbox (can they??) I was
> thinking of leaving it on the server when it is downloaded. Obviously
it
> needs clearing out every now and again though! How would I do this?

Well of course I would not recommend anyone use LookOut Express (because
it's evil and there are many better M$ Windows mail clients - some would
claim Eudora as an example candidate there) but if you must, and
assuming the mail server is your own then you can merely use procmail to
create two identical mailboxes (I do something similar for my filtering
so it can go to three different muas on various other machines). If you
don't want to do this or can't because it's not your server, just write
a small script which connects to the mail server (port 110), issues a
USER, PASS, LIST and LAST and then removes every mail listed prior to
the number given as the last read.

I bet someone else has written this script already...actually now that I
think about it I think mjl asked about this on oxlug a while back - do
you still have that script martin?

--jcm

P.S. I agree with your inclination to use evolution - it's pretty sweet
and became my main mail client a few days ago...appart from various
brokenness that you'd expect from version number of 0.12 it's cool :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk