[Gllug] Problem starting up

Simon Bunker sibunks at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 21:56:07 UTC 2001

Got it fixerd - my mistake - and a fairly small one too. I deleted localhost
and replaced it with my host name rather than just adding to it - oops. Back
working now. Interestingly when I removed the new name and just put back
localhost, the X server complained a lot (still started but with errors) so
it seems to have picked up the name on startup.

I wouldn't mind but the machine isn't even on a network! (if you don't count
the net) I just needed the different name to match up with my flexLM license
file (if you ever have to deal with flexLM licensing you'll realise how
nasty it is!) - guess it's a pain for pirates too though.

Anyway I'm sure it won't be the last Linux problem. I also couldn't seem to
find /etc/hostname - it didn't exist although the machine still runs fine.

I was also wondering - on a completely different subject - whether there is
a way of telling the mail server to delete the mail on it? It's just that I
now have Outlook express and Evolution set up for my email, but I would
really like them to have access to the same information. As I do't think
they can be set up with a common mailbox (can they??) I was thinking of
leaving it on the server when it is downloaded. Obviously it needs clearing
out every now and again though! How would I do this?

thanks

Simon
http://www.rendermania.com/
UIN 11123737