[Gllug] caldera calls out.

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Thu Aug 23 12:10:09 UTC 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> That *is* the QA procedure.  That's the whole point of "release early,
> release often".  If you download the latest kernel sources then you are
> enrolling youself as a tester.  You run it till it breaks and then you
> tell them how it broke.
>
> The difference between Free Software and (say) MS is that you are
> explicitly told that the software has bugs (and given a detailed list of
> what they are).

Exactly; it's a fundamentally different release method. You can't pick a
random release and expect it to work, you must do some research to find out
whether it has any issues on the hardware/configuration you're planning.

I was remarking that if you introduce traditional unix kernel developers to
linux you'll get into these kind of discussions

> Away from the kernel level, Linux development is more stable than most
> proprietary development, not less.  Because development is modular,
> incremental and concurrent (and frequently being ported across multiple
> OSs), interfaces tend to remain consistent, adding features but not
> randomly discarding or changing old ones.  To pick a crude example, you
> don't upgrade your kernel and find that your window manager has changed.

Oh I don't disagree, I just spend most of my time in-kernel

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk