[Gllug] How do they manage it? (IT recruitment agencies)

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Aug 10 14:36:21 UTC 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 04:05:33PM +0200, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> I have just received another spam (Oh gosh they must have got a CV of
> mine from somewhere)
>
> I notice however that a lot of IT recruitment companies are sending
> blank emails with word attachments with the email message within. I
> guess they must have done a mail merge using Exchange 5.5
>
> 'TS European aims to support IT professionals and IT Companies in
> extending their search Europe wide for the right individual or
> opportunity that can help them to achieve their goals. We offer a highly
> personal, quality service which reflect our company values of honesty
> and integrity.'
>
> I can suggest to them that no IT professional would touch them.
>
> I also got a letter from my accountant today, he screwed up and sent me
> a word doc with some lovely logos, and unfilled data fields.  The email
> was in excess of 500kb and had no message.  I took a screen shot of it
> and sent a jpg back which was a quarter a size of his original message ;-)
>
> I was wondering what most people do to tackle this kind of stupidity?
>
> I can only imagine that this will worsen with .NET and stuff.
>
> Cheers
> Xander

But now we can say 'I thought it was a virus' as sending a blank email
 with Word doc attatched is SirCam behaviour.

In fact I can see the security of plain text email and the proliferation
viruses being the downfall of outlook.

Anti virus software is expensive - and if you take precautions - unnecassary

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk