[Gllug] How do they manage it? (IT recruitment agencies)

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Aug 13 00:40:53 UTC 2001

On 10 Aug 2001 16:05:33 +0200, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> I can only imagine that this will worsen with .NET and stuff.

I hope so, it'll provide me with more amusement.

<jcm:ot type="story">

On Friday night I went to Cambridge to visit a friend who recently
entered the "real world"(TM) (oh no!) :P While sitting on the train I
noticed a guy with a laptop who was wearing a T shirt advertising some
"online security" company. He booted his laptop (NT 4[0]) and proceeded
to load LookOut 2000 (the full version) to read his mail.

Two mintues (I timed) after loading LookOut, it locked up and he tried
killing it with task manager before giving up and rebooting. Then he
reloaded LookOut, minimised it before loading the display properties
window.

This guy then spent 25 minutes (exactly) changing his display settings
to an unreadable resolution before changing everything back to how it
was before. Then he sent a couple of heavily formatted (HTML) mails and
got off the train.

This guy achived nothing from using his laptop except to cause people
around me to maybe wonder why I was so amused. I mean, it crashed within
2 minutes of loading and his action demonstated an absolutely perfect M$
luser - the kind that just really shouldn't be "security experts".

</jcm:ot>

Actually, while I'm ranting on about pointless use of laptops on trains,
the number of people who just will insist upon using Windows 2000
Professional on laptops with the volume set to full, while *sitting in
the entertainment free coaches* is getting to me more each day.

Next time it happens I am going to go and turn off the nearest laptop
doing that or otherwise talk to the owner for several minutes - maybe
that's more of a threat :P

--jcm

[0] Due to where I was sitting I had got my hopes up that the delay
between turning it on and a graphical splash screen, coupled with not
being able to see the blue NT screen from where I was meant that he was
using something better.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk