[Gllug] OT: Announcement

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Fri Aug 31 16:36:38 UTC 2001

On 31 Aug 2001 09:31:30 +0000, Ian Norton wrote:

> nope, no udp goes out, (to stop us multiplayer gamers etc) i would like to serv
> web pages thru port 22,

Are you certain? They probably still let udp/53 go out and _probably_
haven't bothered to restrict which hosts that can go to. Hence people
use that port often from Universities around the world to access the ICQ
login servers... :)

> we had all sorts of funny ideas for getting udp out, stuff like icmp
> encapsulation (afaik we are the only ones to have thought of this)

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

> but one major design flaw is the uni also stop icmp packets

Do they stop everything leaving the firewall? It probably depends upon
the ICMP packet type that you are sending out, you know.

> i suppose i could write a little app that sits on port 22, and default sits as
> a go between 22 and the httpd. and if it detects ssh requests spawns sshd,

That won't be easy at all. I gather upon connecting to ssh daemons the
server announces the protocol version/revision information however when
connecting to an HTTP server it does not so you would find it very
difficult :) What some people do is get the system to accept a
pre-determined sequence of events until which at a specified point the
next connection will be ssh - e.g. by sending your computer an email
containing the time and a password for when you want an ssh sesson to
appear.

Having said all this, they probably still let standard http traffic out via a cache and you can of course use GNU httptunnel to encapsulate this too.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk