[Gllug] A technical question on ABIT KT7A boards

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Fri Aug 31 16:57:49 UTC 2001

On 31 Aug 2001 12:05:49 +0000, jane taylor wrote:
> I've got a KT7A (RAID) motherboard currently working in my main
> machine. Up until now it's been working on the regular IDE slots with
> four UDMA-33 or older standard  IDE devices. But I've now got a 40GB
> UDMA 100 HDD on the extra IDE controller, which was visible and
> formattable under W2K but so far is being resoundingly invisible to
> Linux. This is now my main data disk, so I could do with seeing it.

As others have said and I can confirm (because I have built several of
these), the onboard second controller on this Abit board is an HPT370
and you will need kernel support for it.

I've built a couple of RAID 5 arrays using these but I have not tried
their "winRAID" style "hardware" RAID yet using the mentioned unstable
driver - although if others have could they share experiences?

I wish they'd make that onboard RAID controller have either 6 or 12
devices as a maximum and not the 4 it is now as there's no room for a
hot spare to go in their hardware RAID 5 option, although it's fine
obviously with the kernel software RAID stuff to just use the other
controllers on the mobo for spares - and yes, I know you should give
each drive it's own chain in an ideal world :)

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk