[Gllug] OT: Announcement

Rob Andrews rob at impure.org.uk
Fri Aug 31 09:24:15 UTC 2001

[Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 01:30:05AM +0000] Ian Norton whispered thus:
 > it has integrated sound an a s3 savage pro, the sound is such evil quality
 > (ac97 card) and you cannot EVER disable the onboard S3 agp device,

Don't diss ac97s completely ;)
Chances are audio was from the VIA integrated southbridge chip - 686A/B or
suchlike. ac97 is a codec - the SoundBlaster Live! uses it and that's fine <g>

Shame about the non-disabling of the AGP device. Did you try setting the
amount of system RAM the gfx took to 0MB? In any case, adding a second card
should have worked fine anyway,

 > also, anyone know of something to sort a little problem of mine, basically, i
 > will have a box with static IP in my room, the only direct port you can get to
 > it from the outside world (not in uni) is ssh, anyone know of a little daemon
 > type thingee i can make listen on port 22 and decide either to give me ssh
 > sessions or just do http based on what requestss it?

You're saying that if I try to browse the url http://mybox:22/, can you run
an ssh daemon and webserver on the same port, switching by protocol
detection?

Not really, no. But if you know a friend outside with a hosted box, maybe
you can setup a tunnel - CIPE should be fine, although if that's beyond
possibility, you might want to try ppp over ssh - it's not recommended
though, since ssh uses streams, not datagrams, so can foul things up from time
to time.

A more obvious solution would be to find a list of ports that are open (I'm
suspecting they've blocked running a webserver on port 80, but have they on
all ports? Is it port blacklisting or port whitelisting?), and run your
server for that service on an alternative [unfiltered] port. So you can
still have your ssh on port 22, run web server on say, port 81, stuff like
that. Much tidier. Just means you have to bump other bits onto your
addresses.

--
<pgp> 0x8bb5c71e  "This Basil. This Basil's hand. This smack on the head."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk