[Gllug] OT: Just probing the job market in London

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 18:56:35 UTC 2001

On Mon 20 Aug, john.hearns at framestore.co.uk wrote:

> But what happened to all the promise of technology we were told
> about a few years ago?
> Why aren't we all working in lovely cottages in small villages in the
> highlands and islands and just remote logging in to work?

   There was an email a while ago from someone in the west country who
managed to get BT to agree to run a new line direct to him at the normal
price before they realised that the route crossed two rivers and at least
one major road.
   There's also the NIMBY effect with communications towers.
   Urban roads can be turned into honeycomb, and no-one is allowed to
complain.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk