[Gllug] Evil Compaq EPK500 and Debian Potato

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Thu Aug 2 21:14:50 UTC 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 12:17:30PM +0100, Postill, Robert wrote:
> Hi,
> Has anyone had any bother with installing Debian 2.2r3 on a Compaq EPK500? I
> have tried to install it no less than a dozen times and have had no joy.
> More annoyingly Mandrake 8 goes on without a whisper.  Specifically
> /dev/mouse isn't created and the LAN card (an Intel EtherExpress Pro 100
> with management) picks up it's DHCP setting no problem but then promptly
> won't talk to any other machine on the LAN.

Those aren't Compaq-specific problems, they are config problems.

/dev/mouse - isn't normally a device but a symlink to whichever device
is actually your mouse.  I don't think debian has ever actually created
it IME.  You can create it yourself if you want but I just use the
actual device - it's not something that changes often - you may change
the physical device but you usually use the same port.

As for the network problem, there may be a conflict between different
config files.  Did you set a static address at any point?  Might there
be a fixed ip address for your machine in /etc/hosts or
/etc/network/interfaces?  If so, this would cause such a problem.

Or you may have a hostname which duplicates one in the domain DNS.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"