[Gllug] OT: Just probing the job market in London

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 20:10:34 UTC 2001

"Steven M. Castellotti" wrote:

>         "2.1/1st"? Maybe the grading scale is a little different there than
> here in the states, but on a 4.0 GPA scale, a 2.1 is a low "C" grade.
>
>         Course, I may just be misunderstanding what you mean...

I suspect so. British Universities award a degree on completion of
course. A "1st" is the top level degree, maybe 10% of graduates achieve
this. A second class degree can be either upper second (2.1), or lower
second(2.2). This is not equivalent to "just over half marks" :-). Below
a 2.2 you get a third, and below that, simply a pass. A 2.1 GPA would
probably equate to a pass/third. A 2.1 degree is about equivalent of a
high B grade.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk