[Gllug] He who controls the bootloader

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Aug 28 15:46:54 UTC 2001

On Tuesday, 28 Aug 2001, tet at accucard.com wrote:
>>Some parts of the company like Cobalt (duh!), Java or StarOffice do
>>support Linux completely, but the company as a whole does not.
>I've been told by semi-reliable sources that the long term plan is to
>migrate RaQ's to Solarix/x86 (on current hardware), to allow an easy
>migration path to Solaris/SPARC for future hardware. AFAIK, they're
>sticking with Linux because it works *now*, and it's bringing in
>revenue. The switch to Solaris (if turns out to be anything more than
>just a rumour) will take time.

Also, it'll raise the question of why you don't have to pay for a
Solaris OS license if it's for a blue box (since they can't very well
add the normal purchase price for Solaris to the cost of a Raq). They
can PR their way out of that, but I think Solaris/SPARC is a
non-starter; it'll make the hardware much more expensive on systems
that won't benefit from the purportedly faster processor, because
everything they do is limited by network or disc speed.

Mind you, what do I know? In 1993, I was confident the Web was a
gimmick that would never replace gopher; and Sun did manage to sell
the Ultra 5...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk