[Gllug] Home grown DSL

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Tue Aug 28 15:35:08 UTC 2001

Indeed I do HAHAHAHAHAH

> AFAIK DSL will only work at short distances <5Km I think. So
> its only really practical over your local exchange.

Correct line loss get a bit crazy after a few K's and you loose the
bandwidth. Not to mention interference etc

Another idea is similar to Consume only runs on copper. If there where 200
people dotted all around the London area you could ask BT for the hire of a
copper from the two furthest exchanges from yourself within the ADSL range.
Your mate who lives 2 miles on the other side of the exchange asks for one
and you can both meet at the exchange with your copper. Put a box of some
description there and you effectively have a network although small. Now if
you had lots of people doing this in different directions then you could end
up with quite a robust network as each person has 2 copper cables to the
house and if it got big enough you would end up with redundancy at the
exchange. Of course this is assuming a lot and assume made an ass out of u
and me.

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk