[Gllug] OT: Just probing the job market in London

John Clement jec at cubiculum.org
Mon Aug 20 13:41:20 UTC 2001

> But what happened to all the promise of technology we were told
> about a few years ago?
> Why aren't we all working in lovely cottages in small villages in the
> highlands and islands and just remote logging in to work?

As I recall there was an article in the morning rag a while back.  It was
along the lines of, Europeans work from home quite a lot. Brits dont.  This
is because Brit managers don't trust us to work from home.

To be fair I'm not sure I'd trust employees to work from home either if I
was in a mangerial position.  However, if it works for the 'Europeans' then
it should work for us.  Its the whole give and take thing.  Personally if I
was trusted to work from home, I probably would, maybe not entirely standard
hours, but the chances are that I'd end up doing more hours, because of the
convenience etc....

JC

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk