[Gllug] OT: Just probing the job market in London

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Aug 21 15:23:04 UTC 2001

On 20 Aug 2001 14:38:15 +0100, Jackson, Harry wrote:

> 	Its not that the technology is not there. I think it is because an
> employer expects an honest days work for an honest days pay and do not trust
> there employees to do this at home. Its just a simple case of big brother
> feels the need to be able to watch you.

Technically, I work from home :) In reality, I often have to go in to
the office (last few weeks it's been every day) because as others have
suggested, there are still things that need doing in person - and
besides, I like to at least look as if I'm doing something useful.

Yesterday was another 15 hour day so today I had extra sleep, did a
little admin from home and am about to go in to the office for an
all-nighter, suits me, I prefer working at night when I can play loud
cheesy music and get on.

Term time is fun though, I work remotely using ssh, occasional X exports
and vnc when really needed. Still, sometimes you have to go in -
especially when ``the printer isn't working'' and you just know it's the
end of the world :P

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk