[Gllug] Debian

Rob Andrews rob at impure.org.uk
Tue Aug 28 10:17:15 UTC 2001

[Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 09:32:19AM +0000] Bruce Richardson whispered thus:
 > > apt-get to install new stuff is pretty good, though I've not exactly
 > > found dselect to be very intuitive.
 > Try aptitude.  Much better, though not finished.  Also both KDE and Gnome
 > have GUI frontends for apt.

dselect is, imho, a necessary evil. It's useful to know when packages become
obsolete - quite frequently there are old orphaned libraries left stale on
the machine. libgnomeprint* was a sod for that. One thing to note is that
doing an "apt-get update; dselect" isn't the same as running dselect and
selecting "2. [U]pdate" - the latter updates dselect's "available"
information, and hence you get lots of useful information.

I used to use console-apt, before it stopped being simple and started being
entirely too complicated for it's own good.

#include "speak_goodness_about_apt_proxy.h"

--
<pgp> 0x8bb5c71e  "This Basil. This Basil's hand. This smack on the head."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk