[Gllug] Debian

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Aug 28 09:51:21 UTC 2001

On Tuesday, 28 Aug 2001, Paul Brazier wrote:
>difficult to install but it went amazingly smoothly. The setup screens
>may be text/curses based but they were at least as informative and
>helpful as Mandrake's graphical ones.

Speaking as a Debian weenie, the only difference I've seen between GUI
installation utilities and text ones is that sometimes the GUI ones
misunderstand your graphics card and die horribly.

>The only problems I had was with the startup floppies not copying
>properly because they were corrupted, and also having to enter io memory
>and irq interrupt values for my ISA Ethernet card.

Tulip-based PCI cards go for 15 quid. :-)

>apt-get to install new stuff is pretty good, though I've not exactly
>found dselect to be very intuitive.

dselect is the worst interface for managing 4,000 packages apart from
every other one in existence.

>I've noticed that RedHat seems to be used for servers a lot. Is there a
>technical reason for this, or is it just because RedHat aggressively
>targets server sellers?

To many people, Red Hat _is_ Linux.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk