[Gllug] Whinge

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 11:27:00 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Damerell" <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Whinge

> On Thursday, 30 Aug 2001, ChrisJS at aol.com wrote:
> [added hard disc]
> >Was linux so able to cope ? No. It threw a tantrum like a five year old;
LILO
> >exploded, linux couldn't find its swap partition or modules and
everything
> >went to hell.
>
> So you booted from Tom's Rescue Disc, fixed /etc/fstab and lilo.conf,
> and five minutes later everything was fine?

This argument always happens.  Yes you can do that, but only if you know how
to, which is where windows is quite handy.  I am sick of the constant
windows is shit thing.  Windows has it's advantages and so does Linux.  I
prefer using Linux but it *is* easier to do things like install programs on
windows and it *is* easier to addnew hardware on windows especially for
novice users (the command line is preferred by some here, but is not in
general 'user freindly').  Linux is more secure and stable than windows in a
lot of cases, but there are still benefits to using windows for some people.
Obviously for a seasoned computer guru like yourself when you have a problem
like the one described above, you just know what to do but most people
won't.  It seems that a lot of people have problems looking at this sort of
thing from the point of view of someone else, less experienced than them.
Don't get me wrong, I prefer using Linux and I am not too keen on using
windows and I dislike M$ a great deal but there are advantages to both for
different types of user.  There have been a lot of advances on Linux, like
in the look and feel of the GUIs and with things like star office and
opera/mozilla, but there is a lot that could be done to make it a more
freindly novice user environment.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk