[Gllug] Whinge

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Aug 30 11:34:57 UTC 2001

On Thursday, 30 Aug 2001, will wrote:
>This argument always happens.  Yes you can do that, but only if you know how
>to, which is where windows is quite handy.  I am sick of the constant
>windows is shit thing.  Windows has it's advantages and so does Linux.  I
>prefer using Linux but it *is* easier to do things like install programs on
>windows

This really isn't true anymore for any package in Debian; I would find
it much easier to, say, get a working C development environment in
Debian than to locate, purchase and install the equivalent software
for Windows.

>and it *is* easier to add new hardware on windows especially for
>novice users

This is demonstrably false. I am not a novice Windows user and I live
with a professional Windows admin; yet my recent hardware change has
not been adequately resolved after four hours work and may yet require
reinstallation of the OS.

A novice user would probably never have had the problematic entry in
/etc/lilo.conf in the first place; and even if they did, could have
easily sought help and resolved the situation with far less effort
than I have already wasted on Windows.

The point to this whinge - if there is one - is that even in the areas
where Windows is traditionally considered superior (like adding new
hardware), it is actually lacking.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk