[Gllug] How do they manage it? (IT recruitment agencies)

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sun Aug 12 11:54:56 UTC 2001

> Yet the proprietary software industry hands users cars with the bonnets
> welded shut and with useless diagnostics, in the full knowledge that
> those engines are very likely to break down, and that when they do
> there's nothing the user will be able to do.
>
> (Here's one place where this hoary and crappy metaphor breaks down; if a
> car suffers serious engine problems, people can die; but if an office PC
> goes down there is no such danger. The continued --- admittedly marginal
> --- existence of closed-source life-critical systems fills me with
> amazement.)

More so  - Microsoft's licence terms states that they are not
responsible for any damage caused by bugs in the software.

The other classic is that licencees (not owners!!) are not allowed to do
comparisons against other similar pieces of software. (The oracle - M$
SQL thing that happened a while back)

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk