[Gllug] How do they manage it? (IT recruitment agencies)

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sat Aug 11 12:38:51 UTC 2001

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 12:32:06PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> This is a failing of the computer industry, not the user.  No other
> technology makes such demands of the user or treats the user with such
> contempt.  You don't have to know how the internal combustion engine
> works to be a good driver (though a basic understanding of its concepts
> may make you a better driver).  Yet the computer industry puts users in
> much the same position as motorists from the beginning of the last
> century, who needed to be able to make intricate adjustments to their
> engines before they could even leave the garage.

I'd reverse this - the problem is that people expect computers to work as
well as they percieve cars to work now (minus the death and pollution bit)

Why should IT be as developed now as an industry that has around a 100 year
head start on it?

As far as computers go we may no longer have to hand crank the engine ...
but we still have some distance to go on reliability and rustproofing ;-)

There is a big gulf between expectation and actuality - caused by hope,
hype, ethusiasm, and gullibility.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk