[Gllug] He who controls the bootloader

Tushar Joshi tjoshi at lonix.org.uk
Tue Aug 28 18:29:50 UTC 2001

> I do accept your point regarding servers vs. client machines.  While I think
> Linux is fine for desktop use by people who are either used to Unix/Linux
> already, or are not used to *any* system (in practice, it's the GUI which
> matters), it is not yet viable as a desktop for a mass migration of Windows
> users.

> 	The problem is that while home hobbyist users may be happy to spend
> a while learning and playing with Linux, corporate users cannot afford that
> time, and home *non*-hobbyist users need a large incentive to spend it.

But it seems mainly that corporate users can afford to sit without a
machine for 3 days while someone tries to fix oulook or a virus infects the
system or maybe some of their files gets trashed!?

I don't think linux (with kde/gnome) is any more unfriendly that windows.
It's just what people are used to which is the barrier and it's a mental
barrier rather than the fact they can't actually use linux.

Tushar

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk