[Gllug] Auto Login?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sun Aug 26 23:39:55 UTC 2001

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 10:40:17PM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> > > I suppose a quick 'n' dirty solution is just to stick
> > > su - <lusername>
> > > at the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file
> > > (or whatever, I'm a Debian person).
> >
> > Hmm. I'm running Debian, and I don't see that file ;P
>
> Hello?

Read your implication.

> Hope that's quite clear - Debian doesn't have an /etc/rc.d.

Talk to the hand :P

> > I don't see how making the script change id is going to automatically
> > log someone in, either?
>
> Because "su" will login with the specified id and give a shell?

.. and hang the rc.local script, but depends on your definition of log in I
suppose. linux single qualifies as a shell-provider. Although, I have to
say, I usually assume 'log in' to mean 'get to gui', quite why someone would
want to use the shell on bootup is beyond me .. or after boot up, come to
that ;)

> > Doing that in an init script is pretty icky though.
>
> Hence me saying it was quick 'n' dirty.

I wasn't commenting specifically about your solution.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk