[Gllug] Auto Login?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Aug 27 00:01:01 UTC 2001

On 27 Aug 2001 00:39:55 +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:

> Talk to the hand :P

``Hello Mr. Hand, how are you today?''

> > Because "su" will login with the specified id and give a shell?
>
> .. and hang the rc.local script, but depends on your definition of log in I
> suppose.

Stick it at the end - and anyway, this is far from the best way of doing
things, much better to hack <whatever>getty to do it for you. Still, it
was a quick 'n' dirty solution upon which we can create a better one :)

> Although, I have to say, I usually assume 'log in' to mean 'get to gui'

That's just plain odd :P When I read login, I always interpret it as
"get a useable shell" or somesuch. I suppose some might take X to be
logging in...

> I wasn't commenting specifically about your solution.

Yeah OK :) I'm just in a bitchy mood, mostly due to 48 hour uptime.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk