[Gllug] sound advice

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 15:38:44 UTC 2001

Leigh Mason wrote:

>hi
>
>i am running redhat 7.0 with the 2.2.16 kernel on a sony vaio Z600NE laptop.
>I 'm trying to get the sound working with the yamaha ds-xg sound card.
>
>i've had trouble compiling the ALSA driver, due to not having the kernel
>source files installed on my computer. (apparently)
>
>can anyone explain  why i need the source code for the kernel installed and
>secondly why?
>
>as you can guess i am a linux newbie - any advice would be gratefully
>received

Hello Leigh. Welcome to GLLUG.

I'm sure that you will get lots of replies telling you why you need to
get the sources,
and how to compile and install things.

I would like to say that 'why I need the source code' is one of the
beauties of Open Source -
hey you can get the source. You're not simply blindly adding in more
DLLs which may/may
not have side effects on your system.

I'm not familiar with your particular laptop/sound card configuration,
but you should have a look at this page
 http://www.linux-laptop.net/sony.html
Linux on Laptops is an invaluable resource - lots and lots of links to
pages where other people
have installed and configured Linux on many types of laptops.
There are five pages there for your Vaio model.

By the way, you might consider trying Redhat version 7.1, if you can get
a copy.
I personally didn't use it, but I think the general opinion was that 7.0
wasn't a good release,
and was rushed out with things broken in it.
RH 7.1 may well have the up to date drivers you need (I don't know for
sure).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk