[Gllug] sound advice

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Wed Aug 22 16:24:21 UTC 2001

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 03:56:28PM +0100, Leigh Mason wrote:

> i've had trouble compiling the ALSA driver, due to not having the kernel
> source files installed on my computer. (apparently)
>
> can anyone explain  why i need the source code for the kernel installed and
> secondly why?

How familiar are you with C? One important thing to remember, and the
thing that's bitten you, is that the language allows you to
"prototype" functions in header files. Essentially, these promise that
somewhere in the sourse, the functions that are mentioned actually
exist and "this is how to call them" They also contain definitions of
structures used within the code, as well as macros.

What's this got to do with your problem? Your ALSA drivers need to
know how the kernel fits together when you compile them. Thus they
need the kernel header files, and therefore you need the source at
least.

Does that help?

Cheers,

Simon

--
Pronoia = the suspicion that others are conspiring behind
          your back to HELP you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk