[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 16:08:44 UTC 2001

 --- Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> wrote: > * Kieran Barry
(kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Tom Gilbert wrote:
>
> > But you're not naive...
>
> No. I believe that people can't all be trusted and that the
> authorities
> need certain powers to curtail that. But the people on this thread
> who
> say "we should live in a free society where you can do what you like
> however you like and have total freedom and but of course we should
> all
> be responisble for ourselves then everything will be just fine",
> _they_
> are naive, in the extreme.

OK I'l' bite. If you don't trust everyone and you are selective who you
choose as friends, yet you are willing for some unknown person to take
you personal data from you? This looks a bit strange to me.

> > Are you a sysadmin? Are you guaranteeing never to be hacked?
> > Of course, you're not naive....
>
> Ah right. So someone is going to hack my iptables firewall, break
> into
> my box, and install pirated software onto my _linux_ network? hrm.
> What
> strange behaviour :)

Oh look is that fast knocking on your door? perhaps you wont get into a
flame war again. Trust me, I broke someones website he took it
seriously and had words with me via the bill, it happens, simply for
pointing out a bug in his code.

> > I am not a freedom nut. I'm all in favour of warrants. Check the
> > archives of UKcrypto where I discussed this with the Home office
> team.
>
> Note the smiley, the last comment was not intended to be offensive.

In harrassment law, in this country, it is not necessary for a comment
to be meant offence, only for it to be taken as offence by the victim.

> > But, of course, you're not naive.
> >
> > And I'm the troll.

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk