[Gllug] Code Red is Dead?!

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Fri Aug 3 00:23:08 UTC 2001

Axel Segebrecht wrote:

> "New analysis shows the Code Red virus was, despite fears,
> never a danger to the web, as July's internet disruption was
> caused by a train crash."

:P I wonder what they'll spout next. FYI I did get a response from the
BBC with regard to my comments - here are a few extracts:

``we will deliberately try to avoid giving too much technical jargon or
  we will simplify it to allow the many people who have only a basic
  knowledge of computer technology to comprehend the issue.''

Surely they in fact meant to tell me that they twist the truth and often
plain blatantly lie when it comes to technical issues.

The way I see it, they're happy to talk about scientific breakthroughs
on the televised news, gene treatments, other things many people won't
properly understand - why dumb computer related issues down so much?

``Our reports were focussed largely on the statements made by officials
  in Washington, where the government clearly wished to convey a stark
  message about the dangers Code Red posed.''

(i.e. they had no real substance at all and were very one-sided)

``We did not however simply repeat their warnings but presented them to
  the audience along with the facts that are known about the virus, what
  it could potentially do and how it could be prevented.  In doing so
  we leave it to our viewers and listeners to make up their own minds on
  the issue and its relevance to their lives.''

Sure they did - they were calling it ``Computer Armageddon'' at one
point during their programme. They're loosing objectivity over
sensationalism and it's a really not helping anyone at all.

Needless to say that I am not about to let them get away with such a
pitiful excuse. I'll respond, await a reply and go there in person if it
comes to it - who's up for making an official complaint against the BBC?

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk