[Gllug] Code Red is Dead?!

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Fri Aug 3 06:29:07 UTC 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Jon Masters wrote:

> ``We did not however simply repeat their warnings but presented them to
>   the audience along with the facts that are known about the virus, what
>   it could potentially do and how it could be prevented.  In doing so
>   we leave it to our viewers and listeners to make up their own minds on
>   the issue and its relevance to their lives.''
[snip]
> Needless to say that I am not about to let them get away with such a
> pitiful excuse. I'll respond, await a reply and go there in person if it
> comes to it - who's up for making an official complaint against the BBC?

Jon - I have to say that I think you are wasting your time.  In my
experience the BBC find it a problem giving an objective report about
anything - they see themselves as opinion-formers, not reporters.  The
trouble is that with a lot of things you can't opinion-form - you need
the objective truth, and you have to know something about it.

Remember, the BBC is an organisation built on its own private poll-tax -
they don't need to be objective about anything. Having no commercial
pressures they operate to feel good about themselves, at the same time as
making themselves feel as important as possible by keeping the attention
of the punters - hence the mindless sensationalism.

There is no point in getting involved with them, as it will just piss you
off and give them some more of the attention they crave.  The simply way
to deal with it is just never to watch them.  In fact, go one better and
avoid broadcast media all together.  Two-way communication on the Internet
is much better, plus media salaries are falling behind technology
professionals anyway.

--
W. Palfreman.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk