[Gllug] Wordperfect 8 and Redhat 7.1

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Aug 1 17:20:25 UTC 2001

>[mark at nw4 mark]$ /usr/local/wp8/wpbin/xwp &
>[1] 1127
>[mark at nw4 mark]$ bash: /usr/local/wp8/wpbin/xwp: No such file or directory
>ls -l /usr/local/wp8/wpbin/xwp
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      8009812 Dec 26  2000 /usr/local/wp8/wpbin/x
>wp
>[1]+  Exit 127                /usr/local/wp8/wpbin/xwp
>[mark at nw4 mark]$
>
>Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

Yep, WordPerfect8 is dymaically linked against an ancient version of
libc. Unfortunately, ldd is implemented by calling exec on the target,
so you can't even use that to find out what it expects to be linked to!
Brain dead behaviour, if you ask me, and one of these days I'll write
a version of ldd that works how you'd expect...

Anyway, I had the same problem, and finally got round to fixing it the
other day. You can install the relevant RPMs from older versions of
RedHat, and it works fine. I used libc-5.3.12-31 and ld.so-1.9.5-13
from RH6.2, which seem to work fine. You can get them from:

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/redhat/6.2/i386/libc-5.3.12-31.i386.html
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/redhat/6.2/i386/ld.so-1.9.5-13.i386.html

Simply install them, and WP8 should start working again.

Hope that helps.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk