: [Gllug] Matrox G450?

Simon Bunker sibunks at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 2 19:23:39 UTC 2001

I have only experienced the Matrox G400 and not the 450 - under windows too.
It's OK for 2D, but shocking for 3D or anything OpenGL. Hopefully they've
improved this aspect. If you need two monitors though then that is a uniqe
selling point.

Personally I'm now sold on the GeForce chipset from nVidia which is
consistantly good. The Linux drivers are pretty good too - plus a lot of
people are writing applications specifically using the nVidia libraries.
Although I wouldn't really encourage this as locking an app to one graphics
card seems to be missing the point of Linux.

Don't tink they do hardware DVD decoding, but works well with software
decoding - and some have TV out and digital out.

Of course they are a worldwide, money hungry corporation as well trying (and
succeeding mostly!) in dominating the graphics card scene. But if you don't
mind the principles thing then what they make is extremely well done.

Simon
http://www.rendermania.com/
UIN 11123737

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk