[Gllug] Matrox G450?

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 19:24:20 UTC 2001

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> Has anyone got one of these cards?  I'm most interested in 2D video
> performance -- in particular what the speed of switching between X
> desktops is like as I do this stacks.  DVD decoding/TV out is a nice
> bonus.

I don't have a 450 but I have a 400. I'm running multiple X servers for
XDM. Switching between desktops or between servers is about 1.5s, with
large JPEG wallpapers at 1600x1200. It's a lot faster, about 0.5s, with
plain backdrops. Switching between desktops in the XDM session is much
slower, but that's the network not the card.

I have no complaints at all about this card. It needs a decent monitor
to do it justice (I use an Iiyama Vision Master pro 450).

I had a G200 once and it died after only just over a year (just out of
warranty:( but I think that was a one off, they have no reputation for
unreliability.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk