[Gllug] Code Red Strikeback

Vincent AE Scott vince at codex.net
Sat Aug 11 22:09:21 UTC 2001

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, David Irvine wrote:

> Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > * Martin Ling <martin at pkl.net> spake thus:
> >
> >>If you haven't seen it on NTK already;
> >>
> >>http://www.dasbistro.com/default.ida
> >>
> >>Download the script and put it on your Apache servers.
> >>

> > There was a big argument on the debian-user-list about this; many people
> > argued that even just popping a message to the user saying that his/hers
> > machine was infected would be illegal -- but then again, I guess the
> > majority of the people on that list is from the US...
> >
> > Regards, Stig
> >

> The other way you could do this is to write a program that runs on port
> 80 of your machine, when a connection is established, you dont
> disconnect the client, that way the iis machine connected to your
> machine, this script then issues the command to shut down the machine
> via an outgoing connection, however the client is still connected to
> your machine via the original connection. You shut down the iis machine
> and it disconnects from yours.

exactly how is this going to work?
the far end connevts to you from <some random port> to your machine on
<80>.  you cant just talk back along his connection and end up connected
to the web server's port.

-vince

p.s. hal could be taking its toll on me, and in the cold light of day i'll
realise what a ghastly mistake i've made.

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk