[Gllug] Code Red Strikeback

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 21:54:46 UTC 2001

Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, David Irvine wrote:
>

>>Stig Brautaset wrote:
>>
>>>* Martin Ling <martin at pkl.net> spake thus:

>>>There was a big argument on the debian-user-list about this; many people
>>>argued that even just popping a message to the user saying that his/hers
>>>machine was infected would be illegal -- but then again, I guess the
>>>majority of the people on that list is from the US...
>>>
>>>Regards, Stig
>>>

>>The other way you could do this is to write a program that runs on port
>>80 of your machine, when a connection is established, you dont
>>disconnect the client, that way the iis machine connected to your
>>machine, this script then issues the command to shut down the machine
>>via an outgoing connection, however the client is still connected to
>>your machine via the original connection. You shut down the iis machine
>>and it disconnects from yours.
>>

> exactly how is this going to work?
> the far end connevts to you from <some random port> to your machine on
> <80>.  you cant just talk back along his connection and end up connected
> to the web server's port.
>
> -vince
>
> p.s. hal could be taking its toll on me, and in the cold light of day i'll
> realise what a ghastly mistake i've made.

What I meant was, once the code red pc has connected to your computer,
rather than sending 404 not found and dropping the connection instead,
keep the connection alive for a while by sending a byte every now and
again, or a very large file, then initiate a connection t o the pc from
another port whilst it is till connected to your computer and send the
command.

something along the lines  of

Begin bad pseudo code:

fork