[Gllug] caldera calls out.

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Thu Aug 23 11:57:26 UTC 2001

On 8/23/01, 12:19:34 PM, Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org> wrote
regarding Re: [Gllug] caldera calls out.:

> The difference between Sun making a release and a new version of the
linux
> kernel is that Sun have run the kernel through a QA procedure, there is
some
> implied level of stability rather than having to wait for a few hours
looking
> for "kernel version X.X.X ate my root disk".

That *is* the QA procedure.  That's the whole point of "release early,
release often".  If you download the latest kernel sources then you are
enrolling youself as a tester.  You run it till it breaks and then you
tell them how it broke.

The difference between Free Software and (say) MS is that you are
explicitly told that the software has bugs (and given a detailed list of
what they are).

Away from the kernel level, Linux development is more stable than most
proprietary development, not less.  Because development is modular,
incremental and concurrent (and frequently being ported across multiple
OSs), interfaces tend to remain consistent, adding features but not
randomly discarding or changing old ones.  To pick a crude example, you
don't upgrade your kernel and find that your window manager has changed.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk