[Gllug] caldera calls out.

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Thu Aug 23 11:19:34 UTC 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, David Damerell wrote:
> On , 23 Aug 2001, Nix wrote:
> >On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Simon Trimmer gibbered:
> >>He's not the most respected person in the community, but some some
> >>of what he said is true. I came to a similar conclusion a while back
> >>that you can't make money out of a linux (or unix) distribution.
> >They make a good loss leader though; ask Red Hat.
>
> Who are actually in the black these days.

Amazing isn't it? :)

> >>an ongoing process of new bugs being created whilst others are fixed. They
> >I have trouble believing that they have trouble with this. It's the way
> >every software development process in the world works...
>
> Hmma, well; the proprietary UNIX boys do have much better regression
> testing than we do.

The difference between Sun making a release and a new version of the linux
kernel is that Sun have run the kernel through a QA procedure, there is some
implied level of stability rather than having to wait for a few hours looking
for "kernel version X.X.X ate my root disk".

I've gotten used to the way the linux kernel development works over the
years...

> >If they're writing drivers, they really should be reading linux-kernel;
> >then they'd know what was changing, and get a chance to argue about it
> >to boot :)

Well, you know what we're hacking on and most of our cool stuff is software
drivers. We took the approach of having a 'kernel group', if you think how
much time we spend reading the mailing list everyone doing it would be quite
expensive :)

> Yes; I think the answer to "hardware vendors have trouble writing
> drivers" is that they shouldn't try; one of our strengths is that our
> hardware drivers are sometimes written by competent people.

It's fair to say that some of the worst drivers I've seen have been written
by hardware vendors

> >The LSB should fix this; it has a standardized way to add and remove
> >programs from the set run at startup. I don't know if anyone implements
> >it yet.

(really the LSB is a Good Idea)

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>